Saturday, February 20, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage

I primarily used past tense when describing the actual event. However, the scandal is part of an ongoing global conflict so I used present tense when describing current events, opinions, and how the rest of the world may be affected by this.

It wouldn't make sense to readers to describe the specific events in present tense. However, explaining how governments and individuals feel about this scandal in the present tense gives the reader a front row seat to a currently unfolding story. Also, describing global events in the present tense inspires a sense of urgency. The reader feels like they should care.

Transitions between past and present tense within the same paragraph are easy to follow because I often use present perfect instead of past in this case.
Redfern

Past TensePresent TenseFuture Tense
startedcriticizewill encourage
killedbeing
gaveattacking
responded (2)are
signed (2) is (6)
criticized (2)want
imposedsupport
accused (2)are
hijackedare fighting
couldforcing
wasfund
receivedtend
decriedbe
calledclaim
causedcannot
demanded







is
builthas
placedwork
firedmust
detained (2)relies
goneprovides
detainedusing
arrestedconsider
condemnedcondemns
is
escalatedknows
promisedallowing
attacked
preserved
harmed
criticized
ignored

No comments:

Post a Comment