Friday, May 6, 2016

Editorial Report 15B

When I was writing the script, the words seemed to flow naturally as though I were having a conversation. That spontaneity is lost once the words hit the page (or, in this case, screen.)

I ended up just recording about forty minutes of myself giving the advice I wish I had gotten at the beginning of this course. This section is the closest to what I had written in my script and outline.

Edited: 1:45 - 4:00

Original:


  1. Time Management Matters
    1. What sounds better? Working 10 hours in a row on a Sunday or putting in two hours every weekday and having the entire weekend to yourself?
    2. If you are a freshman, you probably have much more time on your hands than you realize. It’s sandwiched between classes, when you usually catch up on Game of Thrones, and when you’re making that 2AM burrito run, as high as Barack Obama [play Correspondent’s Dinner clip]
      1. Benefits of changing The attitude with which you approach this class matters-- it is not some “dumb gen ed”
        1. Even if you are the most efficient student the University of Arizona has ever seen (which is unlikely), you will be spending at least six hours per week on this class alone. If you go into the class thinking it’s some “dumb gen ed” you will be bitter, produce lower quality work, and probably spend longer on the assignments than necessary.
        2. When I signed up for this class it was just one of a few necessary steps on my path to graduating in two and a half years. Twenty credits seemed doable, especially because two of them were “just gen eds.”
        3. I spent as much time complaining about the blog posts as I spent writing them and didn’t even realize I wasn’t being productive the entire time. I was sick of my instructor thinking that this class should be my biggest priority because the course number started with a measly 1.
        4. This class doesn’t have to be your biggest priority, but you have to make time for it. And that doesn’t mean just on Sundays.
        5. A great way to combat this mindset is to find passion in every assignment
        6. I lost steam in the second project. I was writing a standard (AKA boring) college essay about the rhetorical tools used in other people’s boring essays.
        7. I switched up my genre examples to include newly developing internet genres-- the refugee experience simulation and the interactive news map. I was able to root my arguments in psychology and discuss colors and graphics. This was a small change, but because of it I was interested in my work again. Once I switched examples, the time I spent on the project went from dragging on to flying by.

No comments:

Post a Comment