Friday, March 18, 2016

Production Report 8b

I haven't run into any significant issues while working developing this piece of my project. However, I've been extremely lazy about citations while working on my rough draft. I have a list of links to sources that I've used so far and plan to develop my Works Cited page and in texts citations during post production. So far I just have the word "citation" in parenthesis reminding me what facts I need to cite.

I switched one of the genres that I analyzed from journal articles to conflict maps. This isn't a significant issue but I had to redo my outline. I'm a very visual person and would rather analyze the visually intriguing aspects of a genre (even in Middle Eastern Studies) than analyze three ten page journal articles. The articles were interesting to read but my analysis just felt dry and boring.

Outline Excerpt 

    • Crisis Watch
      • Color code
        • Dove & Flame -- pathos
        • Physical responses to colors
        • Symbolism

Text Excerpt
The first Crisis Watch map, found on crisisgroup.org, is interactive and constantly updated with links to breaking news stories. It’s a simple World Map that is color coded based on the progress of current conflicts within each country. Countries in which conflicts have deteriorated are colored red, those with more neutral updates are yellow, and those that have recently improved are green. As expected by pessimists everywhere, no countries are currently green.  The entire Middle East is yellow or red, with the exception of Jordan and the rich gulf states.

There are two icons that convey conflict progression in addition to the country colors. Potential conflict resolution opportunities are indicated with a blue cartoon dove carrying an olive branch. The only blue dove on the map is in Libya, likely representing the beginning of a new peacekeeping mission in the country. The dove, a Christian symbol for peace and hope, is an appeal to pathos. In the olive branch the bird carries a promise of new beginnings and the blue represents the potential for stability and tranquility (CITATION.) This symbol incites more hope than may be appropriate when considering the situation in Libya. The post-Arab Spring leadership, run by one of Qaddafi’s former generals, is at war with multiple militia groups and Daesh has recently claimed land in the country’s South (citation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment